05 April 2010

MUSEic Monday

EPIC. It's the only word I have been able to think of to describe the show I saw on Friday night at Key Arena. So much so that I had to recover all weekend and couldn't muster up the energy to write this post until now. The show featured Silversun Pickups and Muse. Two of my favorite bands of all time. (If only Incubus was there too...) But seriously, I think this had to be the best show I've ever seen. So far anyway. While I was a bit bummed out that I missed some of Silversun Pickups, I learned that it might not be too long before I see them again, and from what I saw, they were incredible. I heard mixed reviews about them playing live, but they did not disappoint. When I heard this show was going to be at Key Arena, I was not exactly too excited. I've been going to a lot of smaller venue shows lately and really enjoying them. I think the last band I saw at Key Arena was `Nsync. (I know that wasn't judgement that just went through your mind...) Honestly, I totally forgot that in a big venue, you don't just get a concert, you get a show! A show complete with sets, lights, screens, other visual effects, just the works! It started with these three structures that looked like buildings and before we knew it they were stairways, they were eyeballs, they were people. I mean, these things turned into everything. The bottom halves of the "towers" served as platforms that could rise and lift the performers, which was really nice, especially for the shorter kids in the audience.

They only played a 45 minute set at Deck the Hall Ball back in December, so I was excited to see more of an array of their music in this much longer concert. Of course they started out with their high energy hits such as "Uprising" and "The Resistance" to get the crowd really amped and involved. Towards the middle of the show, they calmed things down and played a few of their more mellow hits. However, even their more mellow hits have some intense, loud guitar parts as well. By loud, I mean LOUD! But we got to see the most badass piano ever that lights up depending on the notes or chords he was playing. People were mesmerized by that thing, no joke. Then at the end of the show, it was time to go out with a bang and they picked things back up again. They even included giant eyeballs that they pushed down from the ceiling into the audience. Totally random and unorthodox, but added character to the show.

The encore was probably my favorite part of the whole show. They finished with three final songs, the first being "Unnatural Selection" (I think? I honestly can't remember. I was too excited.) That particular song is a bit slower, but they followed up with "Stockholm Syndrome" which is one of my all time favorites of theirs and probably the most high energy ever. My friend Sara said, "This is the song that makes me want to be a rockstar." It was absolutely amazing. Note: If you're at a Muse concert and they haven't played "Knights of Cydonia" then you know it ain't over yet. That song is another one of their most powerful and audience entertaining. It's the perfect closer and the one everyone waits to sing along with.

On a scale of 1-10, the show gets a 179. It was absolutely incredible. Muse really is the best band to see live. Even if you're not the biggest fan of their recorded music, they are so much better in the flesh. So if you ever get the chance in your lifetime, DO IT. It is worth every cent.

No comments: