22 December 2008

Comfort Foods for Cold Days

So now that winter has officially started, I have relied upon my favorite comfort foods to keep me warm (or at least full!) on these cold days. Here are a few of my favorite things...to eat:

Egg in a Hole
This is my absolute favorite thing to eat for breakfast. It combines your eggs and toast all in one. First, toast your bread to make it nice and crispy. Then using a tool of your choice (cookie cutter, glass, etc.) cut a hole in the middle of the bread. Place the bread in a frying pan and crack an egg in the middle. Then flip when ready and make sure it's cooked all the way through. Viola! Egg in a hole. And you still have your cut out piece of toast to enjoy with jam, etc. Other variations include "Egg Sammys" (egg sandwiches) where I like to put fried eggs and cheese on English muffins or just Egg on Toast where I put a soft-boiled egg right on top of the toast.


Peanut Butter & Jelly Open Faces
This is another favorite thing to eat for breakfast. I love sandwiches, but when it comes to the PB&J, the bread kinda takes over, so I prefer the open face toast. Little less bread, a lot more PB&J taste! (I believe the "how to" is pretty self explanitory!)

Quesadilla
This is one of my favorite lunch items to make, especially during the cold weather. Now, of course, there is always the simple tortilla and cheese quesadilla, but I usually like to add a little bit of spice to mine. Or just anything I can find in the fridge. For the ultimate in quesadilla goodness, in addition to your cheese add refried beans, fajita chicken and slices of avocado. Mmm. Don't forget your sides for dipping!

Spaghetti & Bread
For dinner, spaghetti and a good loaf of bread is always a winner. It's quick, it's easy, and you'll be warmed up in no time at all. If you choose to make your own sauce, start with browning your sausage. After that, just throw some things into a pot with the sausage (canned tomato sauce is necessary) and let simmer for a while. If you aren't feeling up for that, I recommend Classico canned sauces. Roasted garlic and herb is my favorite (cause I'm a big fan of the garlic). Other than that, just boil your noodles and heat up your bread in the oven and you're all set!

Peppermint Ice Cream
For dessert, although it's cold, I still recommend ice cream. It's so delicious and with the peppermint flavor, it will get you into the holiday spirit. I always like to stir mine around for awhile until it is super soft. But to each his own. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Definitely on board with the spaghetti!