09 October 2009

Two Book Reviews

So with all the flying I was doing, I've read quite a few books in the past months, but these two definitely deserve kudos in my blog.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
So this book can seem a little intimidating when you pick it up, but don't let that stop you. Even though it is written at over 1000 pages at probably around an 8pt font, it is definitely worth taking the time to read every page and every word. It's a great story that keeps you interested the entire length. When people ask me what it's about, it's definitely hard to explain. More or less, it's about the lives, choices and corruptions of company big wigs. If you like philosophical books, check this one out.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
I could not read this book fast enough. I LOVED it. I am pretty sure it now tops my list of favorite books. I heard about it last year and read that it won the Pulitzer Prize so I had it on my "To Read" list, but I met a guy on the bus who was reading it and he said it took awhile to get into. We must have very different taste because I was pulled into this book immediately and could not put it down until I was finished. The story follows the life of a boy named Oscar and his family who are from the Dominican Republic. One thing I absolutely loved about it (aside from the story) is that it throws in a lot of Spanish words and phrases that reminded me of being in South America. It is a story full of ups and downs, but it definitely gets two thumbs way up from me. READ IT!!

No comments: