14 January 2010

Things I Don't Understand Thursday

At The Gym: Part 1, Appearance

There are so many things I don't understand about people and the gym that I'm going to have to split it up into a couple few entries. This first entry deals with people's appearances at the gym and why they confuse me...

"Person Looking To Impress" - So, I can understand wanting to look presentable when going out in public, but this is the gym. This is where people come to work out, get sweaty and pretty much look like crap. No one looks good when they're grinding their teeth and making tiger faces to lift weights, the elliptical makes things bounce weirdly, people are making "O-faces" on the urg...I think it's just a place to look unattractive to make yourself look more attractive other places. So you, person who is maybe thinking they might meet someone or at least want to look better than everyone else there, isn't it hard work? Did you shower BEFORE you came here? (Yes, I know people who do that.) Did you put on make-up? Does your outfit match? (And I'm not talking are you wearing a top that doesn't clash with your shorts...I'm talking are your top+bra+pants+shoes all the same color slash have the same accent colors?) Believe me, I've seen it all. It seems like a lot of work to then go out and...well, work! Maybe the gym is a great place to meet others, but I don't think it'll happen for me. Five minutes into a workout I look like a shit-ball. But it's how I know I'm working hard!

"Girl With Your Hair Down" - How can you run on a treadmill with your hair down? That's gotta be some type of magic. I mean, I can only imagine, if I had my hair down, I'd probably be eating more hair than the amount of calories I am burning. Maybe it's a nice little snack to keep your energy up while you run. But honestly, that's got to be annoying. Plus you add in the sweat and it just gets stuck to you, doesn't it? It gets in your eyes and inside your shirt/bra (then forcing the inside-the-bra reach). How does this not bother you??

"Guy In Sandals" - Okay, I know here in the Pacific Northwest we have this stereotype "Socks and Sandals Guy" (hell, they're even walking down the runway)...but at the gym? I'm not completely sure, buuuuut I bet I can guess that working out in sandals would not be the healthiest thing for you. I mean, it can't really be good for your feet or your back...or anything, is it?

No comments: